The 22-year-old sent shockwaves round the sport after grabbing the brakes of rival Stefano Manzi during the San Marino and Rimini’s Coast Moto2 Grand Prix on September 9.
He was initially given a two-game ban before being completely stripped of his licence.
But his troubles may not be over after the Prosecutor of Rimini opened an investigation.
Huffington Post Italy reports Fenati is facing a charge of “Private Violence”.
The charge carries a similar punishment to when a motorist cuts up another on the road.
Fenati was axed by the Snipers team after the incident and has also been dropped from his 2019 contract with the Forward Racing/MV Agusta project.
He apologised for what he called a “disgraceful gesture” after the race.
“I apologise to the whole sports world,” he said.
(Pic: BT SPORT)
“This morning, with a clear mind, I wish it had been just a bad dream,” he said.
“I think back to those moments, I made a disgraceful gesture, I was not a man.
“The criticisms are correct and I understand the resentment towards me.
“I want to apologise to everyone who believed in me and all those who felt hurt by my actions.”
The 10-time Grand Prix winner faces the very real prospect of being forced into quitting racing altogether after a meeting at the Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme Headquarters in Switzerland.
The FIM have stripped him of his licence to race until the end of 2018.
“A new FIM licence for the 2019 season may be granted to him subject to the conditions laid down in the FIM regulations,” it said in a statement.
/ Motorsport – ENG Portals